Welcome to App Friday, a weekly promotion where you can download family-friendly apps at free and special prices. We’ve included a new subheading in our App Friday post called “Common Core Friendly”. It’s an attempt for educational app developers to learn about the CCSS framework, as technology becomes more rapidly adopted in the classroom. Let us know what you think.
Participating iOS Apps:
Clicking the links below will take you to the app description, which has more information about each app. Parents and teachers, please preview the apps to understand the features before making it available in your home or classroom. Promotional pricing lasts until 8pm US PST Friday, unless extended by the developer.
- The Prisoner of Carrot Castle (storybook, pull carrot to turn page), $.99
- Dress a Knight of Carrot Castle (dress up game for storybook character), FREE
- Happi Papi Full Throttle (personalized driving game), $.99
- Pre-K ABC (school readiness alphabet primer), $.99
- Koto Go Silence (bedtime storybook), $.99
- Enchanted Dictionary 7th – 12th Grade (core vocabulary & word definitions) FREE
- Enchanted Dictionary 4th – 6th Grade, $.99
- Math Guardians (arcade style math game), $.99
- To The Farm (language development storybook), FREE
- Animal Crosswords (game for reading and spelling), $.99
- Activities for Kids (preschool activities like dots and spot the difference), FREE
- Lola’s Beach Puzzle HD and iPhone (puzzle game for 3-8 year olds), FREE
What About Android / NOOK / Google Play?
- Here is an app for NOOK by Andrew at 77Sparx, called Puzzingo. Also available on Amazon and Google Play.
Developers, do you notice any relationships between your app, and the learning goals laid out in the Common Core State Standards? Here is what this week’s #appfriday developers discovered:
- Enchanted Dictionary ==> Language: Vocabulary & Acquisition Use (example, 3.L.6)
- Math Guardian ==> Math: Operations & Algebraic Thinking (example, 2.OA.2)
- Animal Crosswords ==> Reading: Foundational Skills, Phonics and Word Recognition (example, K.RFS.3)
News From Family-Friendly App Developers
- Kinderbard, Shakespeare songs for children, on KickStarter
- Memetales Readathon, perfect time for summer reading
- App & Appcessory Giveaway, by Kid-Capsule and SoGaBee
- Apps for Summer Learning, End of School SALE!
- iLuv Drawing Contest, enter to win gift certificates 🙂
- Jellybean Tunes App Report: Volume 33
- Case Study: Treasure Kai storybook app integrated in classroom with live brainstorming and author interviews.
- Create a cartoon on the MWA Banner
- Abitalk, apps for phonics and early learning, have specials running every week. Visit their Facebook Page or iTunes Library to find out which apps are on sale.
- Join us on Twitter using the #appfriday hashtag to Retweet your favorite apps!
The Global Kick Off was so fun, we’re doing it again!
Download parties are hosted on the App Friday Facebook page. These parties are an opportunity to interact directly with the developers who create the apps, while browsing app news and grabbing a few deals.
Summer of Fun Link Exchange
It’s a “summer of fun” link exchange this week – don’t forget to check out Technology in Education for their great deals! Add links to your favorite apps, blog posts, Facebook pages – or any link that covers family-friendly apps. Please include the app name (or page name) in the Link Title, your email, and a URL. Thanks for participating!